Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Barenaked Ladies Rebound With New Single



Barenaked Ladies, also known as BNL, will release their new single, "You Run Away," on February 2. It is from their upcoming LP, "All in Good Time," which is currently set to come out in March. It is also the band's first release since the departure of band founder and frontman, Steven Page.

It is available for streaming on the band's website.

Having listened to it, I can say it is definitely the band's best effort since "Another Postcard," from 2003's Everything to Everyone. At first, I thought BNL couldn't hold their own without Page's easily recognized croon. I expect it to chart high on the Adult Top 40 and break onto mainstream stations this spring.

It touches well on the heartbreak and betrayal felt by the remaining band members with Page's exit. Ed Robertson, who most notably sang lead on the band's hit "Pinch Me" in 2001, sings lead as the anger of the guitars tear the room down in sorrow.
The band's previous hit singles mostly maintain a level of humor, while "You Run Away" stands alone as a fierce emotional release. All four remaining members have a chip on their shoulders. There's something romantic about the rest of the band having something to prove.

I have no doubt that the band can carry on without Page.

Rating: A-

2 comments:

  1. I guess that I'm a little slow to the party. I didn't realize that this song was already available for download, and only just heard it today for the first time.

    Since then I've been listening to it pretty much on repeat.. which is a good indication of how I feel about something that I've just discovered.

    Love it! Love the post too, and look forward to checking back in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "There's something romantic about the rest of the band having something to prove."

    Captures this song perfectly for me.

    ReplyDelete